Free Online File Storage and File Sharing with Google Drive
Google Drive is a popular free online file storage and file sharing service by Google. Google Drive provides 15 GB free online storage where anyone can store or backup any kinds of file. That means, you can store your document file, picture, audio, video or any kinds of file into Google Drive and can read, write or download any file when you want. You can also share your stored file with your friends using Google Drive. But you are only eligible to use Google’s free online file storage and file sharing service if you have a Google Account. So, you must create a Google or Gmail account before using Google Drive. If you don’t have a Google account yet, visit my article about How to Create a Google or Gmail Account Successfully which will guide you properly for creating a gmail account. In this article, I will show how to store your important files into Google Drive and how to share your saved files with your friends.
How to Use Google Drive
Google offers you 15 GB free storage for storing your mails and files if you create a Google account. If you already have a Google/Gmail account, follow below steps to use Google Drive for storing your important files otherwise create a free Gmail account and then follow below steps to use Google Drive successfully.
- Type [https://drive.google.com] in your browser’s URL bar for loading Google Drive starting page. Google Drive starting page will appear now.
- Sign in with your Gmail account which you created before.
- Your Google Drive Dashboard will appear now.
- To create a new folder into your Google Drive, click on New button from left panel and choose Folder option. Put your folder name and click on Create button. A new folder will be created in your Google Drive.
- To upload a file into your Google Drive, click mouse right button and choose Upload files… option and then open your desired file. You can also upload a file by Drag and Drop the desired files into right pane.
- You can download your file whenever you want. For this, click mouse right button on a file that you want to download. Now choose Download option. Your desired file will be downloaded on your local drive.
How to Share Files from Google Drive
Google Drive also provides file sharing facility. After uploading a file into your Google Drive, you can share that file to your friends by email. If you want to share any file from your Google Drive, follow below steps which will show proper guide.
- Click mouse right button on a file that you want to share with your friends. Now choose Share option. Share with others pop up window will appear now.
- From Share with others window, type your friend’s email address with whom you want to share this file. You can also choose Role of your friend from right drop down menu. Now click Send button. An email will be sent to your friend’s mail address providing further information to access shard files.
How to Get Google Drive for PC
Google Drive also provides Software Application to get Drive location on your PC. The Software Application syncs your local desktop location with online storage location. You just put your files into your local desktop location and then the Software Application will sync those files with online storage. So, your files will be available on Google’s online storage and you can access those files when you need. If you want to install Google Drive software application in your desktop, follow below simple steps.
- Click on Get Drive for PC button from left panel of your Google Drive Dashboard. Google Drive desktop installer download page will appear now.
- From right side of this page, click on Download Drive drop down option and choose Mac and PC option.
- An installer file will be downloaded now. Install the application from downloaded setup file. The Application will be installed and a Google Drive Icon will appear on your Desktop. Put your files into this location. Your files will be available on your online Google Drive by synchronizing.
Free Online File Storage and File Sharing with Google drive has been shown in this article. I hope, you are now able to use Google Drive successfully for storing your important files. However, if you face any problem to use Google Drive, feel free to discuss in comment or contact with me from Contact page. I will try my best to stay with you.
I, Md. Abu Sayeed, am a system administrator. I like to share knowledge that I am learning from my daily experience. As a system administrator, I like to play with computer networking, Redhat Linux , Windows server, physical server and storage, virtual technology and other system related topics. I hope, my daily experiences that I am sharing in this website will be beneficial for you. So, if this article is helpful for you, don’t forget to give a positive feedback by sharing on your favorite social media or liking our Facebook Page. You can also keep subscribed to our website for getting email notification of new post by providing your name and email address in Subscription Page.