ISP Bandwidth Management with MikroTik PCQ
MikroTik is an excellent router for managing ISP or local ISP client’s Bandwidth. There are various types of queue services in MikroTik router for managing internet bandwidth. Among them PCQ can specially used for maintaining ISP or local ISP bandwidth. So, this article is designed to show how to maintain ISP or local ISP client’s Bandwidth with PCQ service of MikroTik Router.
MikroTik PCQ Service
PCQ stands for Per Connection Queues. This service helps to maintain ISP or local ISP client’s Bandwidth so easily. As a network administrator of any ISP company you should have various offered bandwidth packages like 512kbps connection, 1Mbps connection or 2Mbps connection for the clients. Managing these packages with MikroTik Simple Queues will be so hardy and time killing. But PCQ that will be explained here will be so helpful for managing these bandwidth packages. PCQ enabled queues will be like below.
Managing ISP Bandwidth with PCQ Service
Say, you have three offered packages for you ISP clients. These are 512kbps connection, 1Mbps connection and 2Mbps connection. So, your proposed plan would be like below.
- 512kbps clients will get 192.168.10.0/24 block IP.
- 1Mbps clients will get 192.168.11.0/24 block IP and
- 2Mbps clients will get 192.168.12.0/24 block IP.
Now if a client purchases 512kbps connection, you will just assign him/her a 192.168.10.0/24 block IP or if a client purchases 1Mbps connection, you will assign him/her a 192.168.11.0/24 block IP. This idea is so simple if you can configure PCQ bandwidth management properly. So, the necessary steps to configure PCQ bandwidth management for maintaining above packages are described below.
- Login to your MikroTik Router and go to Queues > Queue Type tab and then click on (+) add new button. New Queue Type window will appear now.
- In this window, type 512kbps_Download or as you like in Type Name input box and select pcq from the Kind drop-down menu. Now type 512k in Rate input box and check the Dst. Address checkbox from the Classifier panel and then Click Apply and then OK button.
- Again click on (+) add new button and type 512kbps _Upload in Type Name input box. Choose pcq from the Kind drop-down menu and type 512k in Rate input box and then check Src. Address from the Classifier panel and then click Apply and OK button.
- Do step 2 and step 3 for 1Mbps connection and 2Mbps connection. Just change the Rate value 1M and 2M accordingly for these connections.
- Now click on Simple Queues tab and click (+) add new button. New Simple Queue window will appear now. In General tab, type 512kbps_Clients in Name input box and type 192.168.10.0/24 in Target input box. You can also define multiple IP blocks by clicking Add new value button located at right side of Target input box and typing new IP block.
- Click on Advanced tab and choose 512kbps_Upload and 512kbps_Download from Queue Type drop-down menu. Click Apply and then OK button.
- Do step 5 and 6 for 1Mbps connection and 2Mbps connection. Just change Target address and Queue Type for these connections.
Your PCQ configuration in MikroTik Router for the proposed packages has been completed. Now assign your clients IP and check their bandwidth with free internet speed test tool. I hope, you will get your desired result. If you face any problem to do above steps, please watch the below video carefully about ISP or Local ISP Bandwidth Management with MikroTik PCQ.
ISP or local ISP Bandwidth Management with MikroTik PCQ has been described step by step in this article. If you face any problem to assign bandwidth to your ISP client with PCQ configuration, please contact with me from Contact page or leave a comment here. I’ll try my best to stay with you.